So I decided to mix it up a bit (I’m so daring aren’t I?), instead of making another sandwich post I decided why not make a breakfast one instead!
Breakfast is by far my favourite meal of the day. Is it bad that at night when I’m in lying bed trying to fall asleep I think about what I am going to have for breakfast the next day? I just love waking up in the morning to a nice bowl of cereal, pancakes, toast or whatever I feel like eating! My favourite is breakfast for dinner! Who doesn’t want breakfast for dinner?
Laura is an oats girl; she will make oatmeal with frozen fruit and yogurt basically every day (that is what I call dedication). I on the other hand am not a big fan of oatmeal, so I decided to research a recipe that was a warm breakfast but didn’t include oats. And I found one that was basically similar to oatmeal but it was made of quinoa instead!!
I found this really delicious quinoa recipe.
Adapted from The Gingered Whisk
Ingredients: (Makes 4 servings)
- 2 cups vanilla almond milk (or whichever type of milk you prefer)
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 1/2 TBSP brown sugar
- dash of cinnamon
- whatever toppings you want (for mine I added strawberries, bananas, and walnuts)
- In a large saucepan, bring the milk to simmer over medium heat.
- Add the quinoa and return to a simmer.
- Simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes, or until 3/4 of the milk has been absorbed.
- Stir in the brown sugar, dash of cinnamon, and cook for several more minutes until just enough of the milk has been absorbed for your liking.
- Remove the quinoa from heat, spoon into bowls and top as you prefer.
This turned out so yummy! The next day I ended up making more for my family. They loved it! Well my mom and dad did, not so much my brother (he’s a picky eater) but he still ate it (partly because I forced him to eat it because it is really healthy for you – that’s what I call sisterly love! Only looking out for his health! aha). Anyways, this for sure is going to be my go to breakfast from now on!
What is your favourite breakfast food?
Until next time,
Denise & Laura