I (Denise) love sandwiches, that is my go to for lunch. This past week, I decided to explore the internet and find new recipes (to replace my oh so simple sandwich that I usually make – hummus, cheese, avocado and chicken). Due to the lack of food that we have in our fridge (it’s close to the end of the week so our food supply was running a little low – what can I say we like to eat), I had to find recipes with ingredients that I did have. And eureka I found two recipes that I could make (not in the same day of course – I am not that obsessed with sandwiches).
My first one I made was a Sautéed Strawberry Avocado and Goat Cheese Sandwich which was taken from edible perspective
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 avocado
- 4 medium strawberries, thinly sliced
- goat’s milk mozzarella, thinly sliced (I just had regular goat cheese)
- 1t unrefined coconut oil
- 1T balsamic vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
- 1t lemon juice
- 1/8t salt
- black pepper + sea salt to top
- Toast the bread and place on a cooling rack [avoids sogginess] to stay crisp but not hot.
- Turn your oven on to broil.
- Mash the avocado with a fork and then mash in the lemon juice + salt.
- Add oil to a small pan over medium heat.
- Once hot, add the strawberries + balsamic, cooking for 3-5min until softened but not falling apart. Stir/flip a few times.
- Add as much avocado to the toast as desired and add 1 layer of cooked strawberries.
- Top with a thin layer of goat cheese.
- Broil until melted, about 1-3min. If you’re using more of a crumbly goat cheese, be careful it
This turned out so delicious! If you are big fan of avocados, you have to try it! And it was so simple and easy to make.
Then I decided to try out the other sandwich recipe that I found for my family when I got home for the weekend (Laura and I go home at least twice a month to stock up on our food supply – wait I mean we obviously go home because we miss our family….) But it turns out Laura is currently stuck in our apartment in Toronto because we were hit with a huge snow storm today and transportation is really bad, so she has no way of getting back home.
But anyways, the next sandwich I decided to try out was a grilled hummus and egg salad. Also taken from edible perspective.
- 2 slices toast
- Earth Balance or butter
- 1 hardboiled egg
- pickles or sweet pickle relish [liquid drained]
- salt + pepper
- Heat pan just under medium heat.
- Butter 2 sides of bread.
- Spread a nice thick coating of hummus on both sides.
- Slice hard boiled egg and place on 1 side.
- Close sandwich and place in pan.
- Cook until golden brown and flip.
- Peal back top slice, add pickles, s+p and whatever other toppings you want.
- Let cook until golden brown, cut + serve.
I also added lettuce and tomatoes as well.
They turned out so good! My family loved them! I would for sure recommend this one as well!
What is your favourite lunch time meal??
Until next time,
Denise and Laura